Five Reasons Why Your Hair Needs Proper Shampooing
Sundays are my favourite because it’s Haircare Day! And the most crucial step in any hair care routine is definitely “shampooing.” You agree, right?
Without shampoo, our lives would be burdened with sticky, greasy hair that smells and feels awful. But thank God! Shampoo always saves the day. People often underestimate the true potential of a good shampoo that can aid hair growth. No bloopers. It’s scientifically proven. Proper shampooing has numerous benefits, and one of them is healthy hair growth. Want to know more benefits of shampooing? Come, let’s find out together.
Every hair type is different; some have oily hair, some suffer from dryness, while others have a combination hair type that is oily on the scalp and dry at the ends. That is why choosing the right shampoo for every hair type is crucial, as it can either make or break your hair if you make a wrong choice.
Now, let’s answer the most commonly asked questions.
Your favourite hair-related FAQs
How Frequently Should You Shampoo Your Hair?
Well, it depends on several factors. The sebum that your scalp generates, which is essential for healthy, lustrous hair, can be removed by over-washing your hair. But that doesn’t mean you don’t need to wash your hair. Keeping your hair dirty and oily can lead to bacterial infections. The other factors that urge us to shampoo our hair are listed below:
- Sebum – Sebum is one of the main factors that can lead to dirty and unmanageable hair. But sebum production depends on age, gender and genetics, which determines the frequency of shampooing your hair.
- Sweat– If you are a workout addict or a sports lover, sweat is the number one reason your hair is dirty and sticky. That is why washing your hair with gentle shampoo after each workout session is essential. Else too much sweat can cause dandruff or scalp acne.
- Pollution: Nowadays, pollution has become a growing problem for the modern population. Hence, we often opt for our modern solution, “shampoo,” as it removes the harmful effects from our hair effectively.
- Hair type– Compared to curly or wavy hair, straight and thin hair needs more frequent washing. Straight hair quickly develops a smooth appearance because sebum can easily coat it. Since the oil doesn’t easily coat thick, wavy, or curly hair strands, it frequently feels dry.
- Dirt and pollen– Pollen, dirt, and dust can all adhere to the hair. These can aggravate your allergies and dull the appearance of your hair. It happens especially during gardening, dusting and other messy activities, hence getting your hair washed properly after performing these activities becomes essential.
- Product build-up– Using styling products like heat protectants, hair sprays, hair wax, hair gel, etc., can form a layer on your scalp which can lead to scalp acne, dandruff or bacterial infections. Hence, using a clarifying shampoo every week is very crucial.
Types of shampoos in the market?
Several types of shampoo are available in the market according to your hair needs. Some of them are listed below:
- Regular Shampoo
- Protein Shampoo (shampoo for hair loss)
- Clarifying Shampoo
- Volumizing Shampoo (shampoo for oily hair)
- Color-Safe Shampoo
- Moisturising Shampoo
- Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Organic Shampoo
- Chlorine Removal Shampoo
- Curl-Defining Shampoo and many more.
Hair washing vs dry shampoo
For that mid-week greasy hair, the best solution would be to apply a little bit of dry shampoo, as it won’t dry out your hair; instead, it reduces the appearance of greasy hair and gives it a refreshing look. But in the long term, dry shampoo can lead to product build-up on your scalp. Hence, washing your hair once a week with a clarifying shampoo is extremely important as it will restore the natural pH of your scalp, keeping your hair healthy and bouncy.
Now, let’s find out the benefits of properly shampooing your hair.
Shampoo benefits 101
Here are some of the benefits of shampooing your hair correctly.
- Your scalp remains clean thanks to shampoo– Sebum can quickly build up if you have fine, straight hair making it greasy and smelly. Excess sebum also leads to dandruff and other problems with the hair. Hence, shampooing is necessary to remove sebum from your scalp or any product residue.
- Shampoo can prevent hair loss- In some cases, shampoo can actually prevent hair loss in some individuals. Experiencing hair loss is a sensitive issue and should be treated carefully. That is why expert advice from professional salons like Chilli Couture can help you prevent thinning of hair in the early stages. Adhering to some particular products, like using a specific shampoo or organic spa treatment, can work miraculously. But if the problem persists, it’s always better to see a trichologist who can suggest medications to improve your condition.
- Reduces scalp acne: Just like skin, your scalp can be acne-prone too. Hence, keeping it squeaky, clean, moisturised, and balanced should be your foremost priority. Top Perth hairdressers at Chilli Couture suggest using a gentle shampoo every two days and a clarifying shampoo once a week if you have an excessively oily scalp. This hair-washing routine sums up to three days of scalp cleaning. Also, apply a moisturising conditioner to your ends to prevent dryness in your hair shaft from the clarifying shampoo.
- The “only” way to treat dandruff: There’s no alternative to dandruff other than shampooing. Especially anti-dandruff shampoos are the best shampoo that can effectively treat dandruff and prevents its comeback.
- Maintains scalp’s natural pH: Excessive sebum production or use of hair styling products can mess with the natural pH of your scalp, which can cause several hair-related problems. But if you choose the right shampoo according to your hair type, it can certainly balance the natural pH of your hair.
So, the reasons mentioned above prove why choosing the correct shampoo and applying it the right way is crucial in maintaining your hair and scalp health.
Meet Chilli Couture
Are you looking for an organic salon that will care for your hair like it’s made of gold? Then you’ve arrived at the right place. In Perth, Chilli Couture is an award-winning organic salon that cares for its client and the environment. Our salon has appointed the top Perth hairdressers to deliver superior results to our customers and provide various hair care treatments and spas to keep your luscious locks healthy and beautiful. If hair styling is on your mind or you want to indulge in hair spas and treatments, book an appointment today. And experience hair care services like no other.