We are extremely conscious of leading by example within our community. We respect our environment and are aware of the impact of the damaging effects any business can cause especially the hairdressing industry. Every little bit of environmental consideration counts, we use the following procedures at Chilli Couture to help protect our environment and create a business that reflects our love of our planet.
We are the first Sustainable Salons salon here in WA and proud of it! Find out more at http://sustainablesalons.org/
- 95% of our waste is recycled through Sustainable Salons, waste collection.
- We are Perth’s premier vegan friendly and chemical free salon.
- All our home hair care and styling ranges are made from recyclable and biodegradable packaging.
- All our home hair care is made from biodegradable ingredients.
- 100% of our products are created with no animal testing or animal ingredients.
- We are 100% paraben and sulfate free.
- Our Colour ranges Original & Mineral and Natulique are not only biodegradable, use recycled and recyclable packaging, but are also ammonia free, PPD and Resorcinol free (carcinogenic ingredients)
- We replace traditional aluminum foil which is produced with heavy environmental damage and use of fresh water with either ReFoil which is 100% recycled foil.
- We prefer Australian made and owned product partners and maintain an above 50% ratio of these within our salon:
- Reduction of use of fossil-based energy where possible
- Use of recycled paper
- Recycling all suitable materials
- Use of electronic devices where ever possible to avoid printing
- All chemical products are disposed of properly so they do not enter our water ways
- Water conscious practices
- Heat reduction window tinting
We are committed to every product available for sale within Chilli Couture to be 100% Vegan. This means no animal testing on any of our products, nor the use of any animal by-product in the ingredients. We have researched and committed time to sourcing the best products Australia and the world has to offer whilst still delivering the same standard and quality our loyal clients expect from us. Our retail ranges are:
- Original & Mineral
- Nak StructurePlex
How can some products NOT be vegan?
It may come as a shock to some but shampoo and conditioner amongst other cosmetic products can be harmful towards our little furry friends.
Some shampoos and conditioners contain proteins such as keratin (or amino acids) as we all know this product is a naturally occurring protein, what some don’t know is that keratin protein is commonly derived from animal hooves, scales, horns and hair. Vegan brands that use Keratin have specially synthesized the keratin in a lab.
Other animal derived ingredients-
Vitamin D: This is found in skin care lotions and other cosmetics. Although it can be sourced from animals it is also possible to source vitamin D from plants too.
Steroids Sterols: From various animal glands or from plant tissues. Steroids include which is alcohol from animals or plants (e.g., cholesterol). They are also used in hormone preparation. In creams, lotions, hair conditioners, fragrances, etc. Alternatives: plant tissues, synthetics.
Elastin: Protein found in the neck ligaments and aortas of cows. Similar to collagen. Can’t affect the skin’s own elasticity. Alternatives: synthetics, protein from plant tissues.
Fatty acids: Can be one or any mixture of liquid and solid acids such as caprylic, lauric, myristic, oleic, palmitic, and stearic. Used in bubble baths, lipsticks, soap, detergents, cosmetics, food. Alternatives: vegetable-derived acids, soy lecithin, safflower oil, bitter almond oil, sunflower oil, etc.
Glycerin/glycerol: A byproduct of soap manufacture (normally uses animal fat). In cosmetics, foods, mouthwashes, chewing gum, toothpastes, soaps, ointments, medicines, lubricants, transmission and brake fluid, Alternatives: vegetable glycerin – a byproduct of vegetable oil soap. Derivatives of seaweed, petroleum.
Placenta: Placenta Polypeptides/Protein/Afterbirth. Contains waste matter eliminated by the foetus. Animal placenta is widely used in skin creams, shampoos, masks, etc. Alternative: kelp.
Propolis: Tree sap gathered by bees and used as a sealant in beehives. In toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, supplements, etc. Alternatives: tree sap, synthetics.
Animal Testing: In Australia, the End Cruel Cosmetics Bill was introduced to Parliament in March 2014, which banned local testing, which generally didn’t happen here, and importation of cosmetics tested on animals. In 2016 a bill was passed to ban the sale of cosmetics tested on animals, which will come into effect in July 2017. In China Animal testing is mandatory for products that are made in China to sell in China although products that are made in China to export are exempt from this law. A company (such as MAC makeup) can claim to be cruelty free in Australia, but if they stock their products in China, they are agreeing to have those products tested on animals. Technically this is therefore not a 100% cruelty free company because they are still endorsing animal cruelty to reach their customers in China.
Healthy hair begins when it’s free from stress. Reduce the chemical overload. We challenge the artificial norms of professional haircare with formulations that are both effective and gentle. Removing harsh chemicals wherever possible while including natural extracts and active minerals that deliver real benefits. O&M’s natural-based, low chemical philosophy with native Australian ingredients bottled in recyclable packaging that looks as good on the outside as it is within.
NATULIQUE products are created from a simple premise: No dangerous ingredients! Our formulations are the safest available in the professional beauty industry today. We believe in ingredient integrity and mission consistency, beginning with organic ingredients, whenever possible, to keep dangerous chemical preservative systems and lathering agents out of the end product. At NATULIQUE we maintain the highest standards of quality throughout formulation and production. Most of the ingredients in each and every product of the NATULIQUE Hair Care product range are USDA and ECOCERT certified organic. We are also proud to announce that NATULIQUE Certified Organic products are on the approval list presented by third party authority. All of the NATULIQUE Permanent Colours are 95% natural and includes certified organic ingredients.
R+Co is a collective of some of the most forward-thinking, rule-bending hairstylists in the business. They are a think tank of top editorial and salon stylists and educators—with a combined century of hairdressing knowledge and experience—and they make sure that they have more than one viewpoint on everything they do.
- R+Co is about an experience. The packaging and fragrances were designed to enhance that experience and evoke a feeling, place, style or attitude. You’ll know just by looking at a bottle or tube what a product is meant to do, and the subtle yet sophisticated fragrances—meant for both men and women.
- R+Co products are formulated without parabens, sulfates (SLS or SLES), mineral oil and petrolatum. They are all cruelty-free, gluten-free and color-safe. Almost all products in the R+Co range (except for 4 which we do not stock here at Chilli Couture) are vegan.
Founded in Parma, Italy in 1983 by the Bollati Family, Davines Group started as a research laboratory, producing high-end hair care products for renowned cosmetic companies worldwide.
Being the best for the world, creators of good life for all through beauty, ethics and sustainability.
DoTerra Essential Oils
DoTerra Essential Oils here at Chilli Couture we use DoTerra Essential oils in our misters, which have medicinal benefits in addition to making our salon smell great, they are calming and soothing helping our guests to relax and enjoy the benefits of these remarkable oils. DOTERRA CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils represent the safest and most beneficial oils available in the world today. For an oil to be CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade the oil must be pure and natural, with aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants free from fillers or artificial ingredients; no dilution of active qualities free of contaminants, pesticides, or chemical residues. Rigorously tested for standards of chemical composition, cross tested using mass spectrometry and gas chromatography to ensure exact purity and composition potency. Sourced by a global network of leading essential oil chemists and growers to ensure correct species, growth in ideal environments, and that raw plant materials were carefully harvested at the right time.
Each year Chilli Couture set aside time and energy support local organisations and charities. Being a client of Chilli Couture, your support has also enabled us to do so. Since the re-opening in June 2011, Chilli Couture has made donations to the following charities:
- Animals Australia.
- Greyhound Angels of Western Australia.
- Australian Conservation Foundation.
- Intercoiffure Education for Life.
- Australian Surf Life Saving.
- Manna Inc.
- Autism Australia.
- Cancer Council.
- Worth Its Weight In Gold.
- Dine for Life.
For more information, you can see our client testimonials here.